For Father’s Day I ordered some personalised socks from Not On The High Street and inside the parcel was a lovely recipe card for ‘Mama’s Lemon Drizzle Cake’. How could I not give it a go? It was super easy to make and it tasted amazing – even if I do say so myself. It’s also a great way to spend half an hour with the kids – my rules are, if you don’t help make it you don’t help eat it. Gets them every time.
225g caster sugar
225g self raising flour
juice of 1 lemon and zest of 2 lemons
100g icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees (we have a fan and I did it around the same). Grease and line 2lb loaf tin with baking paper.
2. Cream the sugar and marg together until fluffy and gradually add the eggs.
3. Sift the flour and fold into the mixture with the lemon zest.
4. Pour into the tin and bake for 50-55 minutes (I would say 60 minutes) until golden on top (and I always check with a cake skewer or knife).
5. Mix the lemon juice and icing sugar to make a thick paste.
6. Once the cake has cooled drizzle the cake with the icing. (I sliced the leftover lemons to decorate.)